Friday, April 1, 2011

The Art of Packing, or That Which I May Never Master

Now that we are within a week of departure, I'm having to face the daunting task of packing. I'm only going to be gone for two weeks, so you wouldn't think that would be difficult, but we are traveling carry-on only. Suddenly, the stakes are raised. Every inch of luggage space is at a premium.

I decided early that even though I have small feet, I'm taking only one pair of shoes. They're Sketchers Shape-Ups sneakers in a black Mary Jane style. They are, arguably, the most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever owned. Wearing them for two weeks is not a trial. But what if we go to, say, a nice dinner? Or the theater? (or would that be theatre, since we'll be across the pond)?

The temptation is strong to bring along one pair of nice shoes, but that would lead to a skirt, nylons, maybe a fancy dress ... a slippery slope. So, I will stick to my guns and hope that my sneakers are stealthy enough in all their black to let me feel remotely acceptable in a pair of black slacks - the closest thing to nice clothes I'll be bringing.

As I think about it, I'm realizing that my biggest stumbling block is that I would actually like to be remotely attractive on this trip. Darn that feminine vanity! I'm working on convincing myself that basic T-shirts, turtlenecks and my new (Value Village) fleece vest with my rain jacket will be perfectly fine. Pants are easy. I only ever wear jeans most days anyways, so that won't be any major shift.

So I'll allow myself one nice shirt to go with the nice pants and accept that I'll be presenting a humdrum appearance. At least I'll have room for my prescriptions, freezer-bag of liquids and gels to make TSA happy, and my netbook, which my son dubbed "Cutie."

At least when I get there and discover what I forgot, there are plenty of stores where I can rectify my mistake. I'm taking bets on what critical item will be left behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment